The first thing designers Craig Bassam and Scott Fellows did after purchasing a 1955 four-bedroom house by Willis N. Mills was strip it. "We didn't realize the exterior was straight-grain redwood," says Bassam. "It was covered in layers of gray paint." Bassam replaced the terrace's concrete pavers with bluestone and removed a concrete-block wall.
Belgian architect Dieter Van Everbroeck bought “a banal bungalow from the 1960s" after falling for a spectacular 300-year-old beech tree on the outskirts of Ghent. To play up the home's connection to nature, the architect extended two wings at a 90-degree angle around the tree, added a glass curtain wall, and emphasized the horizontal to keep spaces as open as possible.
In the Aidlin Darling Design addition to a 1950 Ernest Born beach house in the Bay Area, the architects connected a second-floor office to the old house via a frosted-glass bridge.
Hût Architecture remade this 4,500-square-foot mid-century bungalow, nicknamed Starvecrow Cottage, by retaining the footprint of the existing house while adding floor-to-ceiling windows to the rear and various skylights brings the outstanding landscape closer and fills the home with light.
Hadley and Peter Arnold—architects who met as grad students at SCI-Arc—first bought a 650-square-foot cubic, wood-and-glass house from 1941 by architect Cliff May, then combined it with a new structure built on the foundations of a neighboring home by Rodney Walker from 1947. Separated only by large expanses of glass, the interior and exterior landscape flow together.
Eric Pfeiffer ditched San Francisco for this 1956 "Eichleresque" home in Oakland. They kept most of the interior details, like the ceiling of interconnected two-by-fours, but overhauled the lower floor in response to deck that had fallen into disrepair.